Last week, I wrote about my LEAST favorite food. This week, I’m sharing a recipe for one of my favorite meals…Macaroni and Cheese!
What’s there not to like about macaroni and cheese? It’s got cheese and it’s got pasta - two of my favorite food groups! It has been a “go to” food for as long as I can remember. If I’m desperate, and there is a mac and cheese emergency, I even like the blue box…
But since I’m not 7, I can also make a mean adult version of macaroni and cheese. Looking back at my Tasty Tuesday recipes, I can’t believe I’ve never shared a Mac and Cheese recipe before because I’ve got many. This is my most recent.
Grown Up Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 pound pasta (I used penne), cooked, drained
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, cooked, chopped (I used Applewood from Trader Joe’s)
- 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts cooked and cut into small pieces (I seasoned them with salt, pepper, and paprika and put them on the grill)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups milk (I used 2%)
- 1 1/2 cups extra sharp cheese, grated or cubed
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated or cubed
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste
1. Prepare pasta, chicken, and bacon and set aside while sauce is prepared
2. In a medium sized pot melt the butter and then add the shallots. Cook over medium heat until soften and lightly golden, 10-15 minutes.
3. Whisk in the flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
4. Whisk in chicken broth and milk. Raise heat to med-high bringing to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until sauce is thick enough to cover the back of a spoon.
5. Reduce heat to med-low. Stir in thyme and salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste.
6. Gradually add cheeses to the sauce, stirring until melted. Remove from heat.
7. Add bacon, chicken, and pasta to the cheese sauce and mixed together. Pour mixture into a 10x15 casserole dish.
8. Place under the broiler for about 5 minutes until the top is browned.