It's been awhile since I've had a few minutes to complete a Saturday 9. This is the first somewhat leisurely Saturday morning I've had in quite some time.
This week's song inspiration is Garth Brooke's Papa Loved Mama. I've never heard it before. After clicking the link, I didn't make it past the first two bars...I have a low tolerance for twangy country music.
1) This song is about a trucking "accident" that was covered extensively in the local paper. What's the big news story in your neighborhood? Oh, we had a doozy this week...Super hero Mr. Incredible was convicted of assaulting Bat Girl! Freddy Krueger, Chewbacca, and Where's Waldo were witnesses as they tried to break up the fight. You can't make this stuff up! Mr. Incredible received a day in jail, 3 years probation, 20 days wearing the orange vest and picking up trash on the freeway, and 36 days of anger management classes. Poor Mr. Incredible.
2) The action centers around a motel. When is the last time you stayed in a hotel or motel? I went to Seattle and George over Labor Day weekend and spent nights at a variety of hotels/motels on the trip.
3) In the song, Papa wants to surprise Mama with a bottle of wine. Do you prefer white or red? I mostly prefer red wine unless it's hot and then white is more refreshing. I haven't had a glass of wine in a couple of years though, as I gave up drinking alcohol because I don't like the way it makes me feel. However, I read this article and I'm thinking how much less time drinking a glass of wine would take out of my day compared to working out. Hmmmmm.
4) This week's featured artist, Garth Brooks, has said that the late Chris LeDoux -- singer, sculptor and rodeo champion -- is his hero. If you had to single out someone this morning as your hero, who would it be? Well, it's no longer Mr. Incredible!
5) Before he was able to support himself as a singer, Brooks was a bouncer at a bar. Have you ever had an encounter with a bouncer (either that he threw you out or came to your aid)? Neither, but a couple of times when I bartended I had to break up some bar fights .
6) According to the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America), Garth surpassed The Beatles as the top selling artist of the last 25 years. Whose music do you listen to more -- Garth Brooks or the The Beatles? Not really either, but if a Beatles song came on the radio I wouldn't necessarily change it, but I'd definitely change a Garth Brooks song. Most country music makes my ears bleed.
7) While 1992 was a banner year for Garth Brooks, it was a bad one for another country legend, Willie Nelson. Willie ended up paying the IRS more than $9,000,000. When you file your taxes, will you qualify for a refund? Or will you owe money? My dad used to say, "All a refund means is that you let the government use YOUR money for FREE!" But I like getting the refunds. So taking his advice, and my tax man's, I've set my withholdings so enough is taken out without having to pay, and I still get a decent refund each year.
8) When this song was popular in 1992, Sarah Ferguson, then the Duchess of York, was in all the papers and magazines for her controversial conduct -- including being photographed sunbathing topless with a man not her husband. Today no one seems to care much about what Sarah Ferguson does. Can you think of someone else whose fame was fleeting? Bill Cosby's kind of the elephant in the room these days, isn't he.
9) This is Super Bowl weekend. Where will you be watching The Big Game? If Super Bowl Sunday would take my advice and move to Super Bowl Saturday, I would probably partake in its festivities and watch the game. But since they haven't, and I don't really care all that much about pro football, I probably won't. I am rooting for the Pats to win though...deflated balls and all.