Candy is not really my thing, and I can usually have it in the house without it ever being a bother. There is currently a bowl of Hershey Kisses that someone brought over during the Christmas holiday sitting in my kitchen that I am not the least bit interested in. I've spent the last couple of months trying to get rid of it by putting the bowl out for guests. My point being, I'm not a Chocoholic or candy addict by any means.
Then early February arrives, and all the stores begin selling Easter candy - a whole two months or more before Easter mind you. And the display case starts taunting me whenever I go in for groceries. It's not the Marshmallow Peeps, hollow chocolate bunnies, Cadbury Cream Eggs, Robin's Eggs, Malt Balls, Jelly Beans, or any other such nonsense that call my name. It's the Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs that test my will power for the first few months of the new year.
I know exactly how buying a bag of "The Best Candy In the World" will go down.
1. While unpacking the groceries I will be reminded that I bought some PB Eggs.
2. The bag will be opened in order to have "just one" while putting the groceries away.
3. The bag will then be put in the fridge because cold PB Eggs are better than room temperature PB Eggs.
4. While making the next meal that comes after grocery shopping, the fridge will be opened which will remind me that I bought the PB Eggs.
5. So I'll have one.
6. This time, since it's a cold PB Egg, I'll have another one.
7. And then another one.
You can see where this is going. Before I know it, half the bag is gone. The mound of torn-in-half yellow candy wrappers and empty white cardboard egg holders sitting on the kitchen counter are what shock me back to my senses. That is until the next day when the above is repeated. This time until the whole bag is gone.
It's a bad scene people. So, for the last two months I have successfully walked by that darn candy display chanting, "You'll be sorry. Don't do it." while a bag of Reese's tried to jump inside my cart.
Today though, I wasn't on my game. I have vacation brain and a bag of PB Eggs followed me home from the store...
#ARTifacts: February 2017
6 hours ago