Saturday, August 18, 2018

There Ain't No Tired Like First Week of School Tired

This week, I began my 19th year of teaching.  After two years of chaos and unprofessionalism on the part of our "leader", the calm manner in which we started this school year has me cautiously optimistic over the 2018-19 school year.  I am still in 3rd grade, a high-stakes testing grade, which doesn't make me thrilled, but since I am better prepared with what to expect from the kids and myself adds some stability to my thoughts on that as well.
I am EXHAUSTED this weekend.  All I want to do is lay low today, but if I do, the piles of work that I brought home to work on will somehow multiply.  That's the thing about the beginning of the year.  In addition to the teaching part, there is more to create, do, write, think about, sort, color, prep, etc. than there are hours in the day.  I tell myself every year to not make those things "everything", to stop at the end of the school day and not worry about it, to not let it take up ALL my time.  But if it's not done, others will be let down - teammates, administrators, and most importantly the kids.  Things settle a bit as far as work load in a couple of months, but right now there doesn't seem to be an end to that tunnel.
I brought a teacher bag of work home with the plan of hammering it out last night, just to get it over with so Saturday and Sunday weren't about school. I only got through about half of the bag in between falling asleep twice.  While I write this, I'm having my coffee, trying to revive myself after a hard sleep.  I think I have a couple of hours left of school work to do...that is if I can stay awake.  Two days down...only 178 days to go!


10 comments:

  1. I'm starting my 21st year--and my whole body ached during the first days. I mean, actual hurt. It's the first time I've felt old.

    Here's to a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth. I feel old too. And all I want to do when I come home from work is put on my jammies and go to bed.

      Delete
  2. Something about that "Two days down... only 178 to go" statement made me so sad for you!!

    I hope you get back into the swing of things again quickly and that it's a great year for your overall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the two days down thing is a teacher "joke". It's so hard to go back after the summer flies by...to think it's "only" 180+ days away makes it easier. Ha!
      So far the year has been SO MUCH better than the last couple. They keep making our job harder and harder, but when you feel supported and informed by your admin, that makes a huge difference. So far, so good! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad things are better this year. But why can't you use some of the stuff you had from last year. It can't be that much different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes on the start of the year!
      Yes and no on the using of stuff from previous years. Last year was so rough just treading water all year, that I wouldn’t say anything was particularly good and good to use again. Most things needed to be tweaked. We also just have a bunch of things the district requires us to do from year to year, and they’re ALWAYS in the first month or two which just adds to our already full place. Part of the work load is the nature of the “business”, but the other part is definitely me...but today I left at 3:30! I brought some things home, but still, 3:30 is good!!

      Delete
  4. We still have three more days until our school starts. I'm on the right side of things this year. As a parent, both kids will be attending school all day. As a school board member, my first meeting is tomorrow and then it is just nine more meetings before summer break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! One meeting down, nine to go...you can do it!!! ;)
      How nice to have both kiddos off at school. Hopefully one drop off/pick up time too? I hope they have a great new school year!

      Delete
  5. lol only a 178 to go.

    http://www.henatayeb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete