Saturday, July 16, 2016

Saturday 9

Summer Break has made me lazy in a lot of things, including blogging.  A Saturday 9 will have to do, for now.  This week's song is Hall & Oates' Sara Smiles.  It's such a 70's song, isn't it?  I grew up with Hall & Oates in the 80s, so prefer this and this.  :)
1) This was Hall & Oates' first #1 hit. Can you name another of their popular songs?  Um, ya, Private Eyes, I Can't Go For That, She's Gone, You Make My Dreams Come True, Method of Modern Love, Out of Touch, I Can't Go For That.  They had a lot of songs, didn't they?
2) Darryl Hall and Sara Allen were a couple for 30 years, and he wrote this at the beginning of their long relationship. That makes this a very public love letter. Are you good at writing love letters? Would you rather tell the person how you feel, face to face? Or do you let your actions speak louder than your words?  It's been a long time since I've written any kind of letter, but I could do a love email or text.  
3) In the song, Darryl and Sara are waiting for the sunrise. Did you see the sunrise this morning? Or did you sleep in?  I did not.  Being on summer break, I barely see morning at all with all the sleeping in I'm doing.  
4) Both Hall & Oates hail from the Philadelphia area. Hall is a native of suburban Pottstown, which was a stop on the Reading/Philadelphia rail line made famous in Monopoly. Do you like playing board games?  Yes, I like board games and card games.  I like games that you can socialize whilst playing.  
5) John Oates grew up a few miles away from Pottstown in North Wales. Decades ago, North Wales' biggest employer was a cigar factory. Do you like the smell of a cigar?  Cigars aren't as bad as cigarettes, but I'm still not a fan.  Back in my bartending days, I had some regular customers who came to drink after their weekly men's league soccer game.  It was back in the olden days and on the East Coast where smoking inside was still allowed.  They once asked if I minded if they smoked cigars when they came to drink.  Thinking my tips would increase the longer they stayed and smoked, I told them it wasn't a problem.  Boy, what a big mistake.  It wasn't so much their smell, but cigars are a mess.  Yuck!  I'm not so sure the clean up was worth the extra tips.  
6) Daryl Hall now hosts a music show, "Live from Daryl's House", that you catch free online.  Do you typically watch shows from your computer, iPad, phone, or TV set?  I don't usually watch stuff on devices unless I'm traveling.  I prefer to watch on the TV where the picture is larger and better quality.  Plus, that frees up the device(s) to play on since I'm not very good at just sitting and watching TV.
7)  Hall & Oates are currently on tour.  Are you seeing/have you seen a concert this summer?  YES!  Sting and Peter Gabriel are coming to the Hollywood Bowl this next week.  I'm going to see them on Monday.  Funnily enough, I think I saw the Hall & Oates tickets on Goldstar recently.
8) Daryl and John have been friends for 50 years, even living together at the beginning of their careers when money was tight. Another successful duo of the rock era, Simon & Garfunkel, also met as teens but they forever seem to be feuding. What do you think makes for a lasting friendship/partnership?  A friendship that is fairly effortless and equal seems to last longer.  When thinking about my own relationships through the years, the ones that are still strong have those qualities.  The ones that have been one-sided or hard are the ones I tend to let go.  They make me tired.
9) Random question:  Are you quick to try new things?  It depends on the new thing.  Chances are I'll overthink it, but sometimes I can easily jump right in.
Happy Saturday!

21 comments:

  1. Welcome back to Sat 9! Your answer to #6 could be mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think on a whole people do well just "being" anymore. We always have so many distractions.

      Delete
  2. Ha... I am not the only one who plays games while watching TV!
    Also I do like the social aspect of board games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a board game day at the end of the school year each year, and I figured it would start fizzle out in the last few years because of video games and devices. But that hasn't been the case. The kids LOVE those as well, which I think is good. That socializing is so important, even for us adults.

      Delete
  3. This was a fun one! I was quite a Hall & Oates fan and loved many of their songs.

    I've enjoyed board games all my life and we still play them when we have family gatherings. We also have a traditional NYE celebration with two other couples where we play Pictionary and Trivial Pursuit.

    I smoked for 10 years, but now HATE the smell. Even then, I didn't like the smell of a cigar. Pipes were a little better.

    I'm afraid I didn't sleep in today, though Saturday is sometimes the only morning I get that luxury. We've been without power since Thursday evening (big storms and our power pole and lines are lying in the yard right now). Too much to go into in your comments section, but let's just say south Arkansas in July can be rather toasty without AC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pictionary is fun, and while I like TP, I've never been all that good with it. Both good party games.
      My dad smoked most of my life as well as some family members. When he finally quit, he was the worst being around smoke, almost obnoxious about it. We'd laugh at him and tell him that's how we used to feel. :) It's been SOOOO long since California allowed smoking anywhere that when I'm around it it's gag-worthy. But it took a long time to get there. Growing up with a smoker I never got when someone said "it smells like smoke" because that's what my whole world smelled like.
      OH, I'm sorry about the power. Such a pain anytime, but the dead of summer and that humidity, well there couldn't be a worse time. I hope the storms settle and you can get up and running soon.

      Delete
  4. Sleeping in for me is probably still an early wake-up for anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) When I'm working I'm up at 4:50 so when I don't have to get up I take full advantage of it. There's no reason for that when I don't have to.

      Delete
  5. I'm enjoying the heck out of my summer vacation--sounds like you are, too!

    #6 = YES!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am! I'm so glad you are too. My plans to do nothing are going quite nicely.

      Delete
  6. Oh my, I'd forgotten how many of their songs I actually liked. Now I'm running through all of them in my head (better that way since I can't sing worth a lick).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Me neither. I was more of an alternative music listener instead of the top 40 stuff, but now they are kind of the quintessential 80s band aren't they. I enjoy it now.

      Delete
  7. Wow, you know your Hall and Oates. I'd forgotten they'd done all of those songs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Hall and Oates. Kelly and I are contemporaries and classmates so "what she said." Absolutely detest smoke of any kind, especially and including cigar smoke, which is almost causing me to lose friends because all of a sudden it's just the cool thing to do among my upper middle-aged friends, and when they light up, I'm gone. Love board games and card games, a big tradition among my friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a matter of fact, I just got home from a night out with some friends and we played cards (Hand and Foot) for part of the night. Interesting on the cigars. It's such a social "thing" so I can see that being a problem. I don't socialize with anyone who smokes anymore - not because I won't, just because they don't smoke, but one friend quit more recently. It was very hard to be around her when we she did smoke. We used to be around it all the time, but now it's so much harder to take.

      Delete
  9. I never knew the names but of course i knew the tunes. In fact I never realised all the tunes were fro the one group.
    I think it's the sound of California for people on this side of the Atlantic.
    Theyy look a bitt like Simon and Simon ith a dash of Miami Vice tossed in.
    I think groups like the Pogues took over from the pop bands. Andd for some reason the other side of the Punk ws an odd gay pop from the likees of Boy George and Addam and the# ants.


    Using an Apple bluetooth keyboard with the tablet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a lot of one-hit-wonders in the 80s. They certainly had more staying power than a lot of the other groups.
      I leaned more towards the punk back then than the pop, although didn't know of the Pogues until I lived back East. They had more of a following there than they did here. The Clash and The Ramones were along the same lines music wise here.
      And don't forget WHAM! That George Michael had girls swooning for a long time even though he was as gay as the others above. :)
      Apple?!?!? What do you think?
      My cousin and his wife are on a tour in Ireland as we speak. They've been in Galway the last day or two. I've enjoyed the pictures they've been posting on FB.

      Delete
    2. Apple yep. But only the Bluetooth keyboard :-). That's why all the typos. That and it was about 2am.

      I'm on tramadol and paracetamol for a muscle inflammation issue. The NSAI was nixed due to a suspected bleed in the stomach. So these last few days have been somewhat wooly.
      In truth those pills are kicking my cute royal Irish butt to kingdom-come.
      That's why I've been a bit off since the exhibit came down, and why I've not blogged about it.

      And yep Galway's lovely. I've joined the 126 gallery group up there. Down here it seems that the art scene is populated with the doctors daughter or wife.

      Delete
    3. Oh my goodness. I'm sorry that you're still not feeling well. Is a stomach bleed an ulcer? I hope the meds are kicking in, or are they what is making you sick?
      The 126 looks good. Those artist run galleries are a neat idea. Do you have to agree to work in it every-so-often in order to be part of it? I hope it goes well. :)

      Delete
  10. You know what smoke smell I like usually? Pipes. : )

    ReplyDelete