I don’t know what happened this week. It was supposed to be light and easy and before I knew it, it snowballed into a crazy end of week. I’ve started writing a couple of posts, but haven’t had a chance to finish them. A Saturday 9 will have to do for now.
1) Do you ever suffer the blues during the holidays? No, although this year I’m having a bit of trouble getting into the holiday spirit.
2) More than 18 million visitors have toured Elvis' home, Graceland. Have you ever been there? Nope
3) Elvis dyed his naturally light brown locks black. Do you dye your hair? I do not, although I have threatened to go dark a time or two. The regular maintenance of it has turned me off from going through with it though.
4) He also insisted his young girlfriend, Priscilla, dye her hair jet black. If your lover asked you to change your hair, would you? Hmmm, I don’t know, but probably not.
5) Elvis served his country at an Army base in Friedberg, Germany. Have you ever been to Germany? Yes, a couple of times.
6) Elvis famously had an affair with Ann-Margret during the filming of Viva Las Vegas. Have you ever indulged in a dalliance with a coworker? Not since becoming a teacher. Dalliances are few and far between in a work place primarily made up of women and gay men. But it’s a bad idea.
7) Thinking of his movies ... Elvis was, by and large, unhappy with his film career and once said, "The only thing worse than watching a bad movie is being in one." Are you happy with the way your career is going/has gone? Oh, sure. For the most part I am. There are times when I wish I had pursued another career path. I love teaching, but all the other stuff – politics, testing, management, lack of parent support, the BS – make it less enjoyable than it could be. Or like today when the principal had to physically remove a student from my room who had a meltdown and was screaming bloody murder. I don’t love those kind of days. After those kinds of days, the vacation time is what keeps me going.
8) Elvis lost "the battle of the bulge" toward end of his life. Are you happy with your weight? Sometimes I am and sometimes I’m not.
9) As a teenager, Elvis worked as an usher at a movie theater. What was your first job? I started working at Red Lobster when I was 15 as a hostess and then a server. My favorite job before my “career” was a bartender. Sometimes I think if I could pay the mortgage with it, I’d go back to bartending. That was a fun job.