1. Some children are reluctant to climb into Jolly Old St. Nick's lap. Did you enjoy the tradition or were you shy? I don't remember my actual feelings but from the pictures I've seen I was ok with it as a baby, but as a toddler I'd scream bloody murder on Santa's lap. Which would probably be my current take on waiting in line to sit on any stranger's lap actually.
2. Are you currently on the Naughty or Nice list? How did you get there? Oh, a little bit of both I think.
3. Did you ship any gifts to friends and family this year? If so, which one traveled the farthest? I shipped all my mom's gifts to Hawaii. Luckily all my other gifts stayed local.
4. Did you buy yourself a gift this year? No, I mean I've bought stuff, but nothing more than usual.
5. What's your favorite holiday-themed movie? For the longest time it's been "The Christmas Story" which still makes me laugh out loud. I have enjoyed "Love Actually" showing up on TV during the holidays over the last couple of years. Two different kinds of movies, so equally my favorite. Oh and "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is my favorite animated Christmas movie.
6. Thinking of movies, Christmas is lucrative for Hollywood. Have you ever gone to a movie theater on Christmas Day? On the first Christmas after my dad died over 7 years ago my mom and I decided rather than spend the early afternoon, before heading out to Christmas dinner with family, just staring at each other being sad to go to the movies. We were actually surprised to find that it was packed! We've since made it something of a tradition. We do our Christmas morning together, go to the movies early afternoon, and then to dinner with friends or family.
7. Have you ever suffered an embarrassing moment at the company Christmas party? No, our work parties are always fun, but embarrassing free for me. However I once was embarrassed for a friend of mine. About 5 years ago we decided to have an ugly Christmas sweater staff party. My friend Cori showed up wearing a gaudy sweater she had jokingly purchased from Target. Shortly after her arrival an aid, who was quite a bit older than our fairly young staff, came to the party wearing the same sweater. When Cori joked about buying it for the ugly sweater contest, the woman politely answered that she hadn't realized it was supposed to be an ugly sweater contest. She had just worn it since it was her regular Christmas sweater. Probably not the typical embarrassing staff party story you were looking for but, we all felt SO bad afterwards.
8. What's your favorite beverage in cold weather? Caramel Latte from Coffee Bean - these days a decaf though.
9. What will you remember most about 2012? I'm not very good with thinking about the whole year and remembering what was good and what was bad. I love the posts where people do those at the end of each year, but I find that so difficult for some reason. Unfortunately though, with the school shooting last week, I've got that running through the back of my mind each and every day I go to what I've always considered a pretty safe job. That rattled me a bit. I'll also remember how frustrated this year was with all the Dems vs Rep nonsense that we've been hearing about ALL YEAR leading up to the election and now, even after the election is over, we are still hearing about it because the two can't get it together enough to solve the financial issues we face at the end of the year.
three on thursday
1 hour ago