Sunday, October 27, 2013

A Blast From the Past

Before my mom returned home a few of weeks ago, she got in touch with an old family friend who had recently moved back to California after being gone for several years.  Pat’s arrival into town sparked some reminiscing. 

Before I tell the story, I have to just put it out there that I had/have good parents.  I didn’t always like how they parented (because I was a brat what kid does), but they didn’t ruin my life either.  I have to preface with that, because, while funny, this story doesn’t put them in the best light. 

It’s very difficult for a California Valley Girl to admit this, but my parents were square dancers for part of my formative years {hides head in shame}.  While they initially started because they both enjoyed dancing, it was clear that the socializing and partying were far more fun and they took full advantage of it.  As, when they first started, I was too young to stay at home on my own, they sometimes hired a babysitter to stay with me when they went out, but most of the time, as the only child, they dragged me along with them.  I was a mascot of sorts – Jack and Sandy’s little girl who sat in a folding chair on the sidelines reading her books or coloring or bouncing to the music.  After the dances, the group headed to the local pizza place for pizza and beer.  That part of the night always lasted much longer than the dances.  I have vivid memories of my mom making me a “bed” of two dark-wooded chairs upholstered in red velvet pushed together and falling asleep in the middle of the pizza place on numerous Saturday nights.

One such Saturday was the night that my mom and I had a good laugh over.  Pat and her husband Dale lived two blocks away, and they drove the five of us to the dance that evening.  After a long night at the pizza place (and a lot of beer), my dad carried me out to the car and the five of us drove back home – maybe four miles away.  Just before turning off the main road into the neighborhood Dale was pulled over by the police.  

Now this was back in the late seventies, maybe early eighties, so the crackdown on/education about drinking and driving had not quite happened.  The officer said that Dale was driving a little listlessly and asked if he had been drinking.  In the straightest of face, Dale said, “No sir, we’re square dancers and drinking is against the rules.”  When asked where we were headed, the men in the car pointed in the direction of the neighborhood – just blocks away.  When the officer went back to the car to check Dale’s license, Pat was almost hysterical.  “Oh no!” she cried, “We’re going to be arrested and they’re going to put Kimmy in foster care!”  At the time, no one was laughing, but now that’s the most infamous line of the story. 

Anyhow, the officer came back to the car and let Dale off with a warning to go straight home.  They were lucky, because just a couple of short years later, at the least, Dale would have been hauled off to jail. 

Just last week, I was out with one of my old friends from the neighborhood and we laughed about my parents, their social life, and this story in particular.  She mentioned remembering how there were always people over at my house.  And there were.  I would imagine after that night, staying in and partying in their own home sounded like a much better idea. 

15 comments:

  1. Growing up we had a very close knit neighborhood, who partied at home, I especially loved holidays. There would be some imbibing of adult beverages. One would just have to manage the walk back to your own house. I'm not sure if it was good or bad that everyone was having a drink or many, but we kids had a great time....playing games, watching TV late and slumbering at someone elses house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep fun times. We were always allowed to get away with a little more when there were adult beverages involved. :)
      Of course, when I was about ten, I was the unofficial bartender, pouring drinks for the adults. It served me well later in life as a pretty lucrative job in college.

      Delete
  2. that is hilarious..
    it doesn't come off as bad parenting.. it was just the 70's..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth! Compared to all of today's standards, we're lucky we're alive, right? :)

      Delete
  3. A truly delightful story.
    Square dance yourself ?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In elementary school, we were made to learn square dancing for PE before boys and girls liked dancing with each other so we hated every minute of it. But no, never really learned. I like to dance, but country music makes my ears bleed :), so I have never had any desire to.

      Delete
    2. We had a bank Holiday yesterday that's why my comment was a bit short.
      Sooooo, Kimmy is it. Can people call you that these days and survive :-).
      It was the one kid thing that did it. If they had two, they simply couldn't do that sort of system with you. But I've seen it manys the time when very outgoing couples breed and only have the one. They go out to card nights, music, dances, whathaveyou. Then Mk2 arrives and you don't see hide or hair of the mother 'till the kids are 15, more likely college. My aunts and cousins were very gung ho about not allowing the kids rule their lives but I think the child care for more than one translated to more than one income going in childcare.
      This may amuse you http://www.thejournal.ie/kerry-councillors-drink-driving-764005-Jan2013/ He is the son and brother of members of our parliament

      Delete
    3. I think that's very much the case with only children. I went everywhere with my parents (until I was old enough not to) and was always the only kid in the mix.
      As for the nickname - it depends on how it's used. I've never been a fan. There are a few family members and old friends who can get away with it. But if it's used condescendingly...watch out! :)
      That drunk(drink) driving motion is something isn't it? What a blatant case of governing to line one's own pockets. When it says the motion was passed, what does that mean? Is that now the law in those areas or is it like when one of our bills loses steam and never becomes a law? That's just nuts!

      Delete
    4. Good God No. Passing a motion is a bit different here and in the UK. Mmm, well, it usually is anyway. It's setting stuff to be put upon the agenda of a decision-taking body.
      What he identified is a problem across in the US and Canada even more than here. Many men live on farms miles from the nearest person and the local bar was/is the only place where human contact by way of conversation or even a hook up can occur. But with the lowering of the DUI limits means no alcohol and driving at all. Churches try to fill the gap but these tend to be too worthy for many. At the moment nothing has developed like indoor bowling to replace the bars.
      But I'm delighted. There was some truly nasty ugly scum running pub&bars here. In fact I'd say having seen them in action while being one of the few fully sober. 70% are outright sociopaths for they will keep feeding beer to people they know are going to get into a car and drive home on twisty-turny roads.

      Delete
    5. As a bartender in my former life, once the laws cracked down, it was very scary if you weren't diligent when serving. Knowing that if someone left the bar where you were serving and killed his/herself or someone else you and the bar would be charged in the crime was scary. A few times I faced beer muscles after cutting someone off.
      I understand the reason behind wanting to raise the limit, well kind of, but I would imagine there would be a better way to get people in (and home from) the pub without endangering the lives of their patrons and innocent bystanders.

      Delete
  4. Seriously ridiculous! Thank goodness no one crashed....the cars were solid steel back then too.

    I too was the kid who got dragged around...my sisters were 9 and 11 years older than me and going out on their own...I remember many nights where I slept on chairs and couches!
    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if I remember correctly, I believe it was actually a boat. It was a huge 70s car, I know that much. :)

      Delete
  5. I never square danced but even in So CA it was popular back then. I can remember getting stopped back in the 70's by a cop after drinking. I also swore I hadn't been drinking. The cop told me he just wanted to make sure I got home safe. Those were the days. Now I never drink mostly because of the consequences if I got caught. Cute story!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much different now. It's interesting how it went from never being talked about to a complete overhaul of how people looked at it almost overnight.

      Delete
  6. So glad you didn't end up in foster care! LOL!

    ReplyDelete