The last day of school break is always a little bit depressing, but as I thought about it today, it's not the going back to work that bums me out. Instead, it's all the things the go into going back to work...
1. Meal planning - A lot of my sunday is filled with cooking. I love to cook, but having to figure out what to plan for lunch and prepare my meals to be used as leftovers is a lot of work. During my first year of teaching, I brought frozen meals to lunch almost every day. I vowed after that year to never bring a frozen meal to lunch again, and I haven't. Packing real lunches is time consuming. Being able to make my meals just before eating them, like I do on vacation, is so very pleasant and not the least bit hard or time consuming. I'll miss that.
2. The alarm clock - I despise waking up to an alarm clock. Even hearing an alarm clock in a television show or movie makes my skin crawl. The reason I need the alarm is because...
3. The god-awful hour I need to rise in order to get to work by 7:30 in the morning. If I think too hard about it, it makes me want to cry. By the end of vacation, my schedule has done a complete 180 and I'm staying up almost as late as I have to get up in the morning tomorrow. The Monday morning after a break is painful. If I ran a school, it wouldn't start until noon!
4. Wardrobe - Figuring out and preparing an outfit for work the night before each work takes some time. There is no time in the morning for making decisions and ironing so the time is spent the night before. It's like meal preparation, deciding what to wear to work takes more planning time than the vacation wardrobe.
5. Art time (or lack there of) - The best part of break is having time to hole myself up in the office for an entire day/night in order to create. I've never been someone who can go work on a project for a few minutes here or there. Chunks of time are needed to be productive. Once work starts up again, those time blocks are few and far between.
Vacation is over...oh woe is me! Until I can figure out how to be professionally on vacation, it's time to force myself to sleep. I'll be threatening to throw that 5am alarm clock across the room before I know it.