This week's song inspiration is Chicago's "Does Anyone Really Know What Time It Is?"
1) This song asks, "Does anybody really care about time?" How about you? Do you pride yourself on being punctual? Or don't you really care? I REALLY care about time and being on time, almost obsessively. Tardiness, especially chronic tardiness, is a big pet peeve of mine. If you know you're always late, then leave earlier than usual.
2) The lyrics refer to a stranger asking the time. When is the last time you conversed with someone you didn't really know? What did you two talk about? I've never been someone who will strike up a conversation with strangers, tending to keep to myself. But I will converse with them if they engage me. I had to speak to strangers just last night when I sold my car. That was extremely stressful! But it wasn't the talking that was stressful.
3) According to the Top 40 tracker Tunecaster, this song knocked Tony Orlando and Dawn's "Knock Three Times" out of the #1 spot on the charts in January 1971. Are you familiar with "Knock Three Times?" I do know both songs. Growing up as the youngest with cousins all 10 or more years older than I, the 70s pop/rock plays in the the soundtrack of my early years. In college, I worked at a t-shirt shop that played the classic rock station. So between the two, it's a genre I'm very familiar with and quite like.
4) Chicago is not only the name of the group but also of the midwest's largest city. Chicago is the proud hometown of such luminaries as Bill Murray, Michelle Obama and Derrick Rose. Does your town have any favorite sons or daughters? Los Angeles has many, too many to list.
5) The group Chicago was originally known as The Chicago Transit Authority, after the city's public transportation system. When is the last time you were on a bus or a train? It's been awhile. I think last summer I took the metro into Downtown. SoCal is not known for its transit system, so here it's very few and far between. When I travel to cities who have a comprehensive system that's usually all I'll use.
6) Four of the original seven bandmembers are still with the group … after 48 years! What's the longest you stayed at the same job? I've never been a job-hopper, so most places of employment have been for quite some time. My current job is the longest - this is my 15th year of teaching.
7) Lead singer Rob Lamm confessed that, at times, being in a band has been hard for him because he is by nature a loner. How about you? Are you more introverted or extroverted? Both really. I like being around people until a certain point. Then when I've had enough, I like to be on my own. My mother likes to be around people - 24-7 if she could. We have a great relationship, but that is always been a point of contention for us - I have a "that's enough" threshold, and she never does.
8) This summer, Chicago will be touring with Earth, Wind and Fire. Have you seen/will you attend any concerts in 2015? Yes! In fact this coming Tuesday I'm going to the Fleetwood Mac concert at the Forum. Can't wait - see classic rock!!!
9) Random question: What's the last mess you cleaned up? My office/art room is always a mess. After working on something and having everything out, there comes a point when it all has to be put away before I can function anymore. My classroom is also something I need to clean up a lot. I tend to worry about the curriculum and the kids far more than the esthetics of the room once the year starts. Sometimes it gets out of hand. That's when breaks come in handy so I can get in there and clean up without the stress of the kids being back the next day.
Happy Saturday! Although this one is a bit depressing as Spring Break is quickly coming to an end. Boo...
1 hour ago