It's been a long first full week back to school and therefore a Saturday 9 is in order. This week's song link is "Hello Dolly" by Louis Armstrong.
1. This song is about a woman returning to the town where she was happiest. How many towns have you lived in? I have lived in 6, 3 on the West Coast and 3 on the East Coast.
2) Crazy Sam played Ernestina in her high school production of Hello, Dolly! and still remembers one of her lines: "Hey, you with the big ears! What are you doing after the show?" Tell us something that you memorized for school that is still rattling around in your brain. My 7th grade history teacher taught us this rhyme/bit of wisdom on the first day of school, "Procrastination is a crime. It only leads to sorrow. I can stop at any time. I think I will tomorrow." I've never forgotten it, and it's kind of turned into my life's mantra. Which is why I'm so tired this week. :)
3) This week's featured artist, Louis Armstrong, got his start entertaining diners on riverboat dinner cruises. Have you ever taken a dinner cruise? Is a booze cruise the same thing? If so, then yes.
4) Armstrong took his nickname, "Satchmo," from "Satchel Mouth" -- a slang term for someone with a wide mouth, which Louis believed was his most distinguishing feature. What do you think people notice first about you? Hmmmm, I try particularly hard not to be noticed.
5) In 1936, Louis became the first African American to get featured billing in a Hollywood movie. Have you seen any of this summer's big movies? I'm not usually a fan of the "big summer movie" genre (which translates into kids' movies, teen movies, and action movies). I did see Trainwreck which was funny and dirty and cute all at the same time. And I just saw "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." tonight. It was SOOOOO much fun. I want to see it again!
6) When "Hello, Dolly" composer Jerry was growing up, he was close to an aunt named Belle who encouraged his love of music. Tell us about one of your aunts or uncles. I have just one aunt - my dad's sister. My uncle, her husband, passed away from a brain tumor about 20 years ago. Just before he was diagnosed, the two of them took a three week European tour. After my uncle died, my aunt began traveling a bit more extensively. For someone who had barely left California, let alone the country for most of her life, she has now visited every country in Europe (some multiple times) and has been to all 7 continents.
7) Though famous for composing the scores of Hello, Dolly!, Mame and La Cage Aux Folles, Jerry Herman can't read music. Can you? I can not. Languages are very difficult for me. I can memorize vocabulary (or notes) but have never been able to put it together with any kind of fluency.
8) Now retired, Mr. Herman lives in Miami. This is Miami's "wet season," which lasts into October. When did it last rain where you are? It hasn't rained here in ages. Supposedly it is supposed to be a banner El Nino year, with flooding and devastation. I'll believe it when I see it.
9) Random question: Have you suffered a sunburn this summer? Nope. Sunscreen is this girl's friend!
the friday 56
8 hours ago