Friday, September 18, 2015

That Never Happens!

Over summer break, I visited the dentist for my twice-yearly cleaning.  This visit also happened to be the X-ray/check up visit.  While most of my silver fillings had been replaced with the white porcelain 5 or more years ago, I still had two silver fillings left during that appointment.  They've been noted on my chart to watch for years, and if any changes were observed, it would be time to replace those as well.
Upon the check up portion of the summer visit, the dentist noticed some cracking around the silver fillings and a treatment plan of removing the silver and crowning both teeth was recommended.  While I am not really a fan of the dentist (an irrational fear at best), it wasn't surprising this needed to be done.  I think I was 10 or 11 the last time I had a cavity filled - after 4+ years of braces changed the angle of my teeth I never had cavities again - so this silver was OLD.  Crowns are VERY expensive.  Luckily I have pretty good dental insurance and hadn't used any of the allotted treatment amount this year, so I went ahead and made the appointment for this past week.
My favorite of all the dentists in the office was assigned to my treatment, which was a relief.  Even though I spent about two hours hanging upside down in a chair, my mouth stuffed with instruments and cotton and hands and a thing jammed in to keep my jaw open, I did not feel even one tinge of pain the entire time, not even from the numbing shots.  Hence the favorite dentist!
About half way through the appointment, he stopped working and told me that I actually didn't need two crowns.  While one was still needed, the other was actually in pretty good shape and could just be refilled with porcelain.
It is my opinion that dentists tend to be "upsellers" when it comes to treatment.  I always expect to leave the office with a "recommendation" for something that needs to be done that costs a lot of money.  So leaving the office having had LESS treatment than was originally estimated is unheard of. Quite a pleasant surprise actually.

7 comments:

  1. That's amazing! (and quite wonderful) It seems the entire medical profession (that includes, physicians, dentists, etc. etc.) has gotten to the point where more and more unnecessary tests, procedures, and whatever are done. In some instances I think it's money related, in others it's fear of litigation. I could go on about this, but will spare you my diatribe.

    Fortunately most of my healthcare professionals are either family members or personal friends. It helps in cutting through a lot of the crap and red tape.

    *sigh* I truly am pleased with your dental experience, but must admit to a bit of jealously. I suffer from some chronic issues that I've come to see as my personal "thorn in the flesh". **even bigger sigh** ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have heard that from a lot of people about the medical profession in general. I haven't had that experience with my regular doctors, but then again, maybe I just am less questioning about their "recommendations" that I am about the dentist's. While I do know that unhealthy teeth can cause other medical problems, I'm more willing to say, "Hmmm, I'm not sure I'll do that yet," to the dentist for some reason. And I'd never say that to the doctor.
      I'm sorry about the your dental thorn. There is something about the dentist that is already anxiety ridden so tacking on a chronic issue you have to worry about just adds to that.
      I was an absentee dental patient in my 20s (due to said anxiety AND no dental insurance AND no parents requiring me to go) so when I had a dental emergency it took some work to get things back in order. That couple of years was frustrating. Every time I went there was something else and it got to the point that I would cancel and rebook appointments multiple times just because I worried so much about "what else" they were going to make to do. Now that I'm relatively good to go, I try very hard not to let that happen again.

      Delete
  2. They worry about removing the mercury fillings for the action of removal might cause bits to get into places and they don't find them. So in truth he wasn't being all that nice. They will only remove those metal fillings if they are leaking. Check out mercury fillings on the google and you'll see what I mean.
    Long distance hugs and a hard pat on the back. I too hate that position they put you in. And it is the position, for nowadays it is rare they cause pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes, you are probably right about the pain. However, for so many years dentist = pain to me, so to have major work done and have it not hurt a bit makes me pleased. :) Now it's really the thought of I might choke, and they'll have to throw me out of the chair and give me the Heimlich, that concerns me.
      They actually did take both silver fillings out, that's how he saw that one tooth didn't need a crown. So it was refilled with the white stuff. Have a temporary on the other right now, but there's no silver left at all! But that gets me thinking, I'm probably worth less now. ;)

      Delete
    2. (chuckle) Perhaps, but with that crap gone you're less likely to go doolally, well worse than might occur anyway.

      Delete
  3. Oh, did you know they have High Tea up at the Getty https://twitter.com/GettyMuseum.
    My, but that Julian Fellows and his Downton manor has a lot to answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know they had high tea there. They have a restaurant and a cafe, both which are priced exorbitantly high and not that great. We usually go somewhere nearby or just head home. But it looks like some good treats!
      I have plans to go for the evening in a few weeks. We won't catch tea, but will be sure to visit the bronze sculpture exhibit.

      Delete