Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Done and Gone

Decorating for Christmas is always a double-edged sword for me.  I really like having the house decorated for, but I really dislike the process of decorating and (even worse) taking it down.  On the other hand, when I haven't decorated it is hard to get in the Christmas spirit.  On the couple of occasions I haven't decorated it was because I was traveling over winter break and couldn't be bothered to worry about it.  This year, knowing I would be gone a couple of times (including over Christmas) to Minnesota but having a couple of holiday parties at my house, I was limited but impactful with my decorating.
My favorite part of decorating for Christmas is the tree.  I have a large collection of sentimental ornaments that I enjoy hanging, and it's all so pretty once it's done.  The thought of putting up a tree this year was daunting though, so I decided against it.  Instead, I made a much easier "tree" and used it to hang my Christmas cards on this year.  Most of the Christmas cards sent out anymore are those flat, one sheet photo cards that come from the printer, and I've never before known how to display them.  They don't "sit" on the mantle or a table, so they end up just getting stacked up and then thrown out after Christmas.  This year's "tree" gave me the opportunity to display them, for a little while anyway.

The tree is just a few strips of washi tape, garland, a star ornament, and some sparkly silver clips I found in the dollar bin at Target.  It took a bit of time to measure and mark it, but not nearly as long as decorating a real tree.  Plus there were zero needles to sweep up and it's a piece of cake to take down.
I leave on Friday to spend Christmas in Minnesota and won't be back until next week.  The thought of coming home to a decorated house made me grumpy, so I spent today de-christmas-ing my house.  Christmas is over in the Delight household!  Time to start packing...again!
Save

12 comments:

  1. I have always disliked decorating for Christmas but for some reason don't mind taking the stuff down. It seems to come down a lot easier than it goes up.

    I like your card tree. We have a display for them shaped like a turkey's tail feathers where the cards are clipped in a radial display. For some reason, we're kind of light on the cards there so I've been suspecting that we're on the backside of a trend. I don't know what the new trend is yet but I've seen a lot of family pictures on social media with Merry Christmas written on them. Perhaps that is the new thing.

    We're off the day after Christmas so we will be de-christmasing at our house right after the presents get opened.

    Have a safe trip and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny everyone's take on decorating...to me the taking down in the WORST part and feels like it takes forever.
      I agree with you the cards are moving in a different/electronic version. I hand make my cards and enjoy doing so, so I keep sending them out because the making is fun for me. The emailed/social media cards are easy, but so impersonal. Kind of the direction we are going in, I guess.
      Enjoy your Christmas and have a safe trip as well!

      Delete
  2. I don't send cards anymore, so I don't get alot, but that is a great idea for display. Have a great Christmas and a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your display tree. You're right - so many are now one card with photos on both sides, so it's difficult to know what to do with them! I've always taped ours to the bookshelves, but with those I have to decide which side to face out.

      I hope it's a good trip, both for you and your mom. Check in with us if you get a chance. Supposed to be mid 70s here on Christmas Day, so you can share snow pics. :)

      Delete
    2. And I didn't mean to make that a reply to the comment above!

      Delete
    3. @Katie - Yah, the cards are kind of a job if you are doing them by hand.
      Merry Christmas to you too!

      Delete
    4. @Kelly - It's supposed to snow when I arrive tomorrow, but hopefully just a light dusting. The night a flew in last time there were a few inches on the ground and the landing/deplaning/baggage/etc was more efficient in snow than it ever is at LAX in the sun! So hopefully tomorrow will be easy as well.
      Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. Wishing you safe travels and a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I commented on this yesterday. At least I wrote a comment on this, maybe I didnt' hit publish.

    Here in general the lighting up for Christmas goes from the 8th of Dec to the 6th of Jan. I had light up very early mostly because it was such a crap year. But most have seen the Griswald's and aim at that to a greater or lesser extent of accuracy.
    What made such a difference is the LED's that made the juice use affordable, even I could say they hardly tickle the electric bill at all.

    I was thinking artistically about the a4 flat sheet issue. Why not make a garland out of them by punching a hole either side about 60% up, and string a ribbon dividing them with an appropriate piece of Xmas tat.

    Mind you I really like what you've done, and may use it next year. But I'd say if you are staying home you;ll not be satisfied with this at all.

    My very best to your mom. I expect she'll be delighted to get out and about, not stuck inside in that odd excuse for a State but is really an extension of Canada.

    Bon Voyage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! The card tree won't cut it next year when I'm home!! :). But I can have two trees then!
      I love the outside lights and the more lights the better!!! They're so pretty. The LEDs are something. The people's house I'm staying this week have a real pretty tree with those on it. I like it all swirly and colorful, but I'd miss putting ornaments on it!
      I've been sick with bronchitis for about a week and haven't been able to kick it here either. I come back home on Tuesday and I'm counting the days.

      Delete
  5. Great idea about the "tree" for the cards! Safe travels and looking forward to more interesting posts in 2017!

    ReplyDelete