Friday, January 20, 2012

So I Had a Little Emergency…

It was late last night when I decided to head to bed.  Before doing so, I let the dog out so she was set for the night.  Since she’s a nut and can not help but drag dirt and grass through the house, I stop her at the back door and wipe off her paws before letting her come inside.  While standing in the doorway with a towel, her wiggly butt somehow maneuvered it’s way to the door pushing it over the top of my foot.  At least I think that’s what happened as the tremendous amount of pain and spurting blood may have affected my memory a little bit. 

The metal weathering material under the door somehow sliced my big toe/nail in half.  Yah, that’s right, in half!  After the initial shock of what happened, I screamed bloody murder and hurled myself to the ground.  It was so painful.  It was also the middle of the night, too late to go to the doctor.  Thankfully, I didn’t die right there on the dining room floor, so I managed to wrap up my toe and clean up the puddle of blood that had formed under my foot.  I didn’t sleep much so was able to get up early this morning and get in to see the doctor. 

What a miserable morning!  Three shots in the toe to numb it and half my toenail removed.  Ick!  But luckily, no stitches!  Other than some twinges of pain, I feel much better albeit the giant wrap on my toe that has made it triple its size – only to fit in flip flops or slippers.  I guess it could have been worse, but sheesh, what a night!

Hopefully, I’ll be able to wear real shoes by the time the first day back to school on Monday. 

18 comments:

  1. Aww, poor you. Big hugs.
    Of course being an Irishman I'll give you a swat for hurting your silly foot also.
    I don't know why we do that but we all do it. The only other race I've see at that was the Spanish. I saw a kid once rescued from a pool being hugged by her frantic Mom. When half way through the hug was turned and was administered a pistol shot smack on her rump, then re-enfolded into a huge hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Pumpkin. That sounds horrific. I am glad you didn't need stitches. I hope it heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nooo! I would have been freaking out! You are so strong to last through the night :) I'm glad it wasn't worse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Argh! Spurting blood is never a good thing, and I'm sorry it was so painful. What a bummer! Sorry that happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Vince - ha ha, thanks! But I bet you can guess who I wanted to swat. :)

    @Becky - I'm glad too. As I've never had them before, I was scared.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lacy - I don't know if you can call all the crying and rolling around on the floor brave. :)

    @Jason - I know, right!?! I'm surprised I didn't pass out since I'm not known to handle spurting blood so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! Glad you made it until morning but...ahhhh! And the dog has no idea why you are mad!

    Heal up :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Marey - ha! Not mad, just injured! She has no idea why we haven't been out on a walk in two days, and spent most of yesterday trying to bite the ball sized wrap around my toe. But I did manage to get a sneaker on today. A little sore, but maybe tomorrow we'll be able to go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a wonder you've not photographed the offended digit. You know we'll resize it to ooooh and aaaaaaah at it. We're like that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Vince - Ewwwwwww, no way, that's gross! :) I haven't even been able to look at it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no. One of the things that worries me about being alone out here, is having some kind of accident. I have my brother and SIL on speed dial just in case. I hope you will be up and around better by Monday. Glad your not mad at the pup. I am sure he already feels your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @BC - If I think to hard about that, really dying on the floor without anyone knowing is a worry for me too. Anyways, I'm getting around just fine - keeping it covered and I'm good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG!!!! I say wear slippers to school! Ease your way back in! Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @jlo - ya that sounds like a good plan, but talk about tired feet at the end of the day. I'll stick with sneakers. Tried to walk the dog today but only did about a half mile... still too tender. Vince's comment above reminded me of when you posted your cyst on your blog without warning, and I almost threw up on the screen. Remember that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Crikey!! That sounds horrible!!! I have to give you props for sticking it out all night, I would have screamed, cried and then hauled my ass to the emergency room.

    I guess on the flip side, you HAVE to wear slippers or flip flops.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @hula - yah i thought about it, but the emergency rooms here are filled with drunks and axe murderers in the middle of the night. It was safer to wait til morning. Kept a sneaker on for a whole mile this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Drunks and axe murderers? Really? That sounds so cool! They should serve cocktails and charge admission.

    Congrats on the sneaker.

    Out of curiousity is your half toe nail going to grow back or are you going to have a gimp toenail now?

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Hula - They DO charge admission...a lot in fact! Gosh, I sure hope it does. I have to go back to the doctor on Thursday...I'll have to ask her!

    ReplyDelete