Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tasty Tuesday

This week's recipe I also make every year for St. Patrick's Day. I spent the summer of 2000 in Ireland and ate this incredible brown bread just about every day for breakfast. It is dense and very hearty. It's also very easy as there is no yeast and nothing has to rise. Slainte!

Irish Brown Bread

Ingredients

3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1 cup oats (I use Quaker Oats)
1.5 tsp baking soda
2 cups buttermilk
2 Tbsp molasses



Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. I use my stand mixer and use that bowl for my dry ingredients.

2. In a smaller bowl, combine the buttermilk and molasses. 3. Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry. I do this using the dough hook. The dough holds onto the dough hook when it is thoroughly mixed.
4. Lightly knead the dough 3 or 4 times on a floured surface. It can be sticky so add more flour if needed. Divide the dough into two rounds and score an X in the top about 1 inch deep using a knife. Place the rounds on a baking sheet and bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 and bake another 25-30 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and let cook on rack. Slice into 1/2 inch pieces. The bread is good warmed or toasted.

I made this recipe quite a bit before I had a stand mixer. It's tougher to make because it is hard to stir bread dough, but it can be done. If you have a stand mixer, use it because it is so simple - no heavy mixing needed!

6 comments:

  1. OH, I can smell it! I can't wait to make this. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can smell it too! And I LOVE home baked bread - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm bread- I love any kind of bread and this looks extra good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bread is delish. I just noticed a theme you have with your food. X's on top. Maybe it makes you think of grading papers : ). There was an X on the beef pie too. I have never made bread, but my Mom makes it all the time. I will show her this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I hear Brown Bread I tend to think of the kind in a can. This sounds so much better.

    You're linked.

    ReplyDelete