Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I’m the Worst Book Clubber Ever

I have been part of my book club for about 7 years now.  I am one of the founding members.  I love book club.  I love reading the books.  I love having dinner with my friends.  I love discussing the books.  I love the gossip that happens before, during, after discussing the books.  Why is it then that I wait until the VERY LAST MINUTE to finish the book?!?!  Currently we are reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, of The DaVinci Code fame. 
the_lost_symbol
There are 509 pages and I am currently on page 203.  Book club is Thursday.  Sheesh, I feel like I’m in high school all over again; under pressure to get finished with it.  I start everything else I do in my life early and get it finished so I don’t have to think about it anymore, except my book club book.  It doesn’t matter if it’s a short book or a long book.  I start it right after finishing the previous book and then end up putting it off and putting it off until 3 days before book club.  At that time I go to bed and read and read and read, trying to get it finished.  Usually I begin to nod off and the book falls out of my hands and hits me on the head.  This time it is particularly dangerous as Symbol is a 500 page hard cover book. 

OK, I’m off to read as much as I can before falling asleep tonight.  Keep your fingers crossed that I don’t wake up in the morning with a black eye.  Also, keep your fingers crossed that I can read 300 more pages by Thursday.

7 comments:

  1. I've gone to book club several times having not read the book...just for the company.

    I read this book in record time though, good luck getting it finished!b

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am often like you, waiting til the last minute to finish. But this time...I'm all done! It was a faster read for me than most. Of course, winter vacation helped!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't read the book at the last minute, then you won't remember the finer details of the story.

    If you read your book early, then you would spend the whole dinner, saying, "what part was that again?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, you are reminding me to read my book club book!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you can do it. I believe in you : ). Not to mention, you are probably already at the book club right this second since we are in front of you time wise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the same damn way. I'm on page 85 and have to get to 450 by Monday. Damn it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is why I've never stuck with a book club. I read like crazy, but if it doesn't strike me as what I want to read Then, I seem to get an attitude and don't stay on top of it.
    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete