Last week it rained and rained and rained so it was a good week to make soup. In addition to my Chicken Tortilla Soup, I tried out this new recipe. It was almost as good the tortilla soup. The sour cream trick at the end was delish on both.
Black Bean Soup
10 slices bacon, finely chopped
1medium onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, pressed
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
1 can chopped tomatoes with juice
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
4 (15 1/2-ounce) cans black beans, drained but not rinsed
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 bunch cilantro
juice of 1/2 lime
Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
Sour cream, for garnish
Grated cheddar, for garnish
1. Put the bacon into a large heavy pot and cook over medium heat for about 4 minutes.
2. Stir in the onions and cook, stirring, until they turn clear, about 4 minutes.
3. Stir in the garlic and cook until you can smell it, about 1 minute.
4. Add the broth, tomatoes, ketchup, Worcestershire, and chili powder. Stir in the beans, turn the heat to high and bring to a boil.
5.Adjust the heat so the soup is bubbling gently for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
6. While the soup is cooking, chop the cilantro leaves coarsely. Add to the soup after the above 10 minutes.
7. Cook until the soup is thickened, about 5 more minutes. Stir in the lime juice. Serve with the garnishes.