Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tasty Tuesday


I know, I know, I know...I have posted this recipe before. It pains me to repeat a post and I know I give other repeaters such a hard time, but the repeat is for good reason. Back in August I posted this recipe in my first Tasty Tuesday, but it was August and everyone was hot, from the heat. It is now November and in most of the world it has cooled, except of course in Socal where it's still super hot, so I wanted to remind you about my most favorite and easy soup recipe. So this is not really a repeat but more a public service announcement. SlĂ inte!

Chicken Tortilla Soup - Slow Cooker
Ingredients
2-3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts (can be frozen)
1 (15 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chile peppers
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups water
1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 (10 oz) package frozen corn
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (add more if you like it like I do)
7 corn tortillas
vegetable oil

Directions
1. Put all ingredients (except tortilla and oil) into slow cooker. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours. Before serving, shred chicken using a fork - it will just fall apart.
2. Preheat oven to 400.
3. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet.
4. Bake in preheated oven until lightly brown and crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Add tortilla strips and any other toppings...serve!

6 comments:

  1. I'm going to make this! It sounds so yummy. With it being 40 degrees outside as a high, this will warm us up.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing wrong with repeating posts, as long as you have a good reason. And this was a good reason. And I always have good reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I read this in July and BOY OH BOY am I glad that I read it today : ). I love anything that is made in a crock pot : ). I hope you are having a fabulous fall break. Kaish only has off for Thanksgiving because of the strike. He is a little bummed about that. I love that kid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I am imagining Tortilla Soup with Spoon Bread and maybe a bit of crispy glazed pork belly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving, Pumpkin : )! I hoppe you have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Pumpkin Delight! How the heck are you? I thought there was going to be a new recipe here for Christmas. Come on, bring it! The soup was magnifico : )!

    ReplyDelete