Monday, February 28, 2011

And There Goes February (2 for 2)

Wow! That was fast. I feel like I just posted about the end of January. Here it is, the end of February, but surprisingly enough, I completed another calendar. It was quite a feat as I spent most of February sick. In fact, this weekend I came down with a gnarly throat infection that kicked my butt. I even took today off from school…and I HATE doing that.

This month, I used pieces of a magazine to make the calendar. I found this amazing picture in one of my travel magazines of Sultan Ahmed Mosque in Istanbul, Turkey. It’s tiling is so beautiful and I wanted to incorporate it into my art journal (I also added it to the list of places I want to visit), but I couldn’t come up with a way to do so. I decided to use strips of the picture to create the rows and columns of the calendar.

blog 1001

A couple weeks ago, I worked on the next page using spray paint. Some of it seeped through so my previously white background became blotches of color. It’s not what I intended, but it is what it is.

I only got to journal a few other pages during this busy and sick month. I will begin March’s calendar tomorrow and will hopefully have time to continue it for another month.

Happy March!

16 comments:

  1. I am sorry you were sick so much this month Pumpkin. I hope March brings nothing but good health for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you were ill hope you feel better soon. Love your page and the idea of using the photo, great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect showing kids the beauties of the Blue Mosque mightn't go down so well in Texas. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pages i like your theme x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, thanks for the well wishes everyone. Trying to feel better. Plan on going in to work half day today. We'll see how it goes.

    @Vince - I'm sure some in Texas might have a problem with a mosque in art. It might be just as sensitive in CA. I didn't cut it up for that reason in the least. This is my journal and I don't share it with my students. I just couldn't figure out a way to successfully use the giant 2-page spread in my journal, so for the time being I just used some pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo-er, hope you picking up now.
    This looks great all filled in - and I like the 'seepage' look - where the ink has seeped through from your other page - it adds lots of lovely splodges :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your photo idea and your cut out numbers... like the different sized squares too... Mmmm lots of ideas to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous page Kimberley - I amm all for the seepage, an additional dimension to the page!
    Love the different sized journaling blocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HOpe this month is better for you. Love the seepage and really nice to see pics within the journal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you're feeling better tonight! The cold weather doesn't help any. I was down your way last week...the Grapevine was closed until Sunday morning...we sailed right past after it was opened...and with a horrendous tailwind we got outrageous gas mileage :) Did you get snow?

    Happy Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear, hope you start to feel better soon and that March is a better month for you. Thanks for staying with the challenge and keeping up so far. Looking forward to seeing your pages for March! Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully designed! Love all the different patterns and the seepage! Fun hearing how you collected your pieces too:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is fab!!!! Love how you have bulit up all your journaling tabs....of different sizes!!! and yout handwriting is just fab!!!! Hugs Juls

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love your calendar page! Hope you get to feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great calendar pages.
    Hope you feel better soon!
    Greetings Anne

    ReplyDelete
  16. sorry you have been ill, hope you feel better soon. Love your idea for using the photo cut up and the seepage looks great! x

    ReplyDelete