Friday, November 16, 2012

Sat 9

Sitting in the Oakland Airport half way to my long weekend destination. Apparently my next flight is delayed an hour and thirty minutes, make that 2 hours and 30 minutes. Thankfully there's (intermittent) free wifi. A Saturday 9 will distract me.
1) "Live and Let Die" was nominated for an Oscar as best song. Do you have a favorite movie song?
What a hard question! There are so many good songs and I'm having a hard time differentiating whether they were written for a movie or just in a movie. Maybe Simple Minds' "Don't You Forget About Me" from The Breakfast Club or "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls from that angel movie that had a good soundtrack but wasn't a very good movie. I know there are plenty of greats out there, but those are two that I still have in my playlist today. Can't wait to see what others pick.

2) The latest Bond movie, Skyfall, is crazy successful. Have you seen it/do you want to see it?
As a matter of fact I did see it last weekend. I enjoyed it. It explained a little bit of JB's past which was interesting.

3) What do you think makes Bond movies so enduringly popular? Being a fan of spy movies is why I like them plus they're fun. To be honest I've only seen the more recent ones, maybe the last one or two of Pierce Brosnan's reign and then all the Daniel Craig movies. The effects in the newer ones are so much more realistic than those before them. Frankly, the older ones were just a bit too corny for my taste.

4) Do you have a favorite among the actors who have played "Bond, James Bond?"
Since I've only watched two actors portray JB, I'd have to say I do like Daniel Craig. Although Sean Connery is a great actor, so I'm sure I'd like him too if I watched his movies.

5) Bond orders martinis -- "shaken, not stirred." What's your regular drink order?
I haven't had an alcoholic drink in so long, that's such an unfair question! I'd love a glass of Malbec, or an ice cold Corona, and a blended margarita too.

6) Moving from the bar to breakfast -- do you have a favorite cereal?
I don't like cereal. Actually, I don't like milk so the thought of sweet, soggy grain floating around in a bowl full of it doesn't appeal to me at all.

7) Let's daydream about warm weather. Would you rather swim in a lake, the ocean, or an outdoor pool?
I love to swim so I like all three except the lake slightly less...can't see the bottom.

8) Did you get 8 hours' sleep last night?
No, up late packing so maybe 5.5. Honestly though 8 hours of sleep during the week is a rarity.

9) What are you wearing on your feet right now?
Sneakers

25 comments:

  1. Where ya headed? Hopefully you're on your way now. :) Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a rotten 2nd leg! But arrived safe and sound, about 3 hours late, but safe and sound!

      Delete
  2. I've read the Flemming books, plus I know a bit of his history. The early ones aren't as cornball as you might think, That all have a basis is something that was going on in the UK after WW2. In 50s 60s UK the Russians were never to the fore of thinking like they were in the US. No, the focus was mostly about financial cartels that could, or were at least believed to, manipulate to their own ends. That's why all the early films had very rich foreign men. While the English bimbos were 'and' are a feature of the South of France, certain parts of the Alps and a very few islands in the Caribbean. All are girls, of a certain class (daughters of surgeons) searching for big game. But very rarely catching any and usually end up in rehab without even the memories. Anyhooos, that's the reason the resonance in the USA was slight. Nowadays though, the hate figure is far more global. But it is still a bit of polish on a very right wing agenda.

    I 'am' not going to say anything about your trip. Not at least 'til I know how much I'll need to feel jealous. If it's Hawaii, I'll want to punch you. And my first word will begin with a uppercase 'B'. Seattle, meah, you'll be nearing my would, so not so much. :-D :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mean the stories themselves were corny but the special effects. There are always crazy contraptions and secret agent stuff that seem so fake to me in the older ones because the special effects were not as advanced as they are now. Even though "Q's" gadgets are still outlandish, they look and seem more realistic in the newer films due to better technology. I'd actually like to start reading the Fleming books. I think I'll add them to my list!
      No need to be jealous, yet, as I'm in Boise, Idaho visiting some friends for a long weekend. It's chilly with on/off rain, so probably your norm. :). However in 4 weeks I'll be traveling to Hawaii. In my opinion nothing to be jealous of, but no one understands that.

      Delete
    2. Oh, as for Oakland....no direct flights to Boise so first leg lax to oak and then oak to Boise. Each leg was only about an hour. I was in the airport about 3x longer than it actually took to get there.

      Delete
    3. Wouldn't be first on my list of places to stay but it is far higher that the other 'I' Iowa or Indiana. I keep picturing a sorta bigger New Hampshire or Vermont. Course that might be the shape too. I don't picture poets though which I do with NH&Vt.
      Have a good trip. And I'd even be glad for you if you were in Hawaii.

      Delete
  3. First of all--safe travels!

    I'm also a milk-hater and I dislike soggy cereal so I like cereal that doesn't require milk. I'm partial to bite size frosted mini wheats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use frosted mini wheats as rewards for my students. I can get them in large quantities at Costco, and the kids love them.

      Delete
  4. Cereal is almost the only way I drink milk, maybe chocolate cake or cookies, if I have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only time I drink milk is if it's put in my coffee, and most of the time it's flavored fat free creamer, which probably doesn't even count.

      Delete
  5. Hope you have an awesome time on your trip! Stay safe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We almost blew away at the football game today, other than that, safe and sound!

      Delete
  6. Have a great trip! Too bad it wasn't SFO or I could have met you there in a few minutes :)

    Enjoy your week off...my daughter has 3 furlough days so she has the whole week off too....not me...work til Thursday.

    Fly safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd much prefer to have flown into sfo, and maybe even visited a few days. Oakland was a chaotic mess last night - probably due to holiday travel.
      We have the whole week. I don't think the time off is needed yet with winter break so close, but hey I'll take it.

      Delete
  7. Have a safe trip.

    The water in our lake is pretty clear, you can see do to around 7 or 8 feet.

    (Agh, my nails are too long and I should have proofread it first.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every time I hear 'don't you forget about me' I think of Jude- what ever his name was- in the ending of that movie...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You definitely should not write cereal jingles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like lakes either! It's muddy & I have to say Lake Placid replays in my head everytime I see lakes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Sweet, soggy grain floating around in a bowl full of it doesn't appeal to me at all." It is pretty disgusting when you put it that way. And I did my Sat 9 with free airport wifi this week, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm wearing socks right now.
    Never been a big fan of the Bond movies.. though I did watch the last two because M wanted too and I like Daniel Craig. :)

    ReplyDelete