Saturday, August 17, 2013

An Exercise in Futility

Over the last couple of weeks, CBS, one of the BIG THREE network television stations (Big Bang Theory, Big Brother, NCIS) and the cable company I use have been in “negotiations” about cost increases.  Due to a stall in those talks, the cable company has decided to remove all the network’s channels from its lineup in order to put pressure on them to settle.  In addition to the CBS stations, Showtime has also been pulled off the air because they are under the CBS umbrella.  Since Showtime is a paid premium channel, I am paying gobs of money for it and it’s not available.  I’ve been grumbling about the amount of money I pay for cable/internet services over the last couple of years.  This most recent issue pushed me to research other options.  Last Friday, I made the jump from cable to satellite TV.  So far, I’m not seeing any difference, other than the cost (which includes CBS) so it was probably a smart decision. 

With the removal of cable TV, I had the option of keeping the cable internet (and spending twice as much on it because it would no longer be bundled with cable TV) or switching to another internet provider.  I opted for a switch and it was installed tonight with an almost 50% savings. 

It wasn’t until after the installation that it occurred to me with the change in internet service, I would need to change my email address.  I will no longer have access to the cable server to access my email once I shut it off and return the router.  I registered for the new email this evening and sent off the change in address to my email address book.  Luckily, everyone’s email addresses are still accessible in Outlook.  What I didn’t take into account was changing emails on ALL those online accounts.  I’ve spent the better part of the last 3 hours combing through emails looking for all my online accounts, changing the address, entering passwords, and confirming those changes via the new and old email address. 

Initially, I thought this process would help me memorize this new email since the old one seems to be emblazoned on my brain at this point.  Instead, for every account, I had to type in the old email before typing in the new one.  The addresses are just similar enough to trip me up.  It made me so confused!

10 comments:

  1. It can be virtually impossible to assess relative value of one product to another. The providers make thing so darn complex.
    I'm always fearful I'm missing something fundamental when I go try and examine the tiny writing. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! I spent a couple of hours on the phone during my last week of vacation researching. With all the promotions that are offered they seemed to be priced better, but once the few months to a year are up the chances of paying an arm and a leg again is possible. I think I did ok though. The first year alone is saving me almost half of what I was paying - a little less than half if you add in the equipment/activation fees. It will go up next year, but based on their quotes, still about $30 cheaper than I'm paying now. So we'll see. I've also heard that if you call the current provider and tell them you're thinking of changing providers, they'll drop the price for the year. When I canceled my service, they tried o keep me by reducing the price to their promotional price, but it was still more than my new promo price AND the new service isn't screwing the customer around by dropping channels. So I think it was a wise choice...or at least I've justified it as such. :)

      Delete
    2. I hadn't changed the email correctly on blogger because your last comment went to the old address. This one came to the new address. It works...yay!

      Delete
    3. Yeah, you went into the pending folder here too. Why did you need to change. I know you changed service but I didn't think mail servers/accounts were that bothered. Did they say your mail a/c would be closed.

      Delete
    4. The email I've had for years is linked to the cable service I've had. Once I cancel the service, I will lose the email. Right now I'm running them simultaneously, but once I return the equipment it's gone. Unfortunately. It's amazing ALL the things it's connected with. I'm going to keep the old for a couple of days longer just to be sure I've not missed something.

      Delete
  2. Glad you made a switch that costs you less $$...I will update your email now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. That sounds like a nightmare. I remember freshman year I didn't have TV in college and it was the happiest year of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like a lot of effort right now.. but will be worth it in the end.. plus you save money. We have been thinking of dropping cable for a roku or something but haven't gotten to it just yet.

    ReplyDelete