Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Random Thoughts

Random Thoughts Big

  • Today, I finalized my summer travel plans.  No international travel this summer, but instead some short trips within the US.  In the beginning of July, I will be flying up to Portland in order to attend a family wedding.  Even more exciting is that I am visiting some friends in Chicago at the end of July.  I just booked that flight today!  I have never been to Chicago and can’t wait!  I’ll be there for 5 days and am staying in the Lincoln Park area.  Have you been there before?  Any Chicago tips?  Any places I shouldn’t miss?
  • My book club is currently reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.  While I wait for the actual book to arrive at my local library, I have downloaded the audiobook to my iPhone.  I’ve been listening to it on my morning and evening crazy dog walk.  I am entranced with it…a book about people who have fallen in love with books and brought together by those books.  It is told entirely in friendly letters and telegrams – so very clever.  I think it is going to end up on my favorites list.  Have you read it?
  • Yesterday was kind of an overcast, funky day.  It wasn’t terribly cold, but it felt so because the sun was scarce.  When I returned from a walk, I was surprised that my camellia bush is blooming!
    art 003 art 001

    Two winters ago we had a really bad frost.  My old camellia bush froze, and it couldn’t be revived so it was removed.  Last spring I planted a new one.  These are the first blooms!  I have a black thumb when it comes to gardening, but the camellia in this spot, in the front yard always does pretty well.
  • This week, a “friend” on Facebook posted the following question, “So what is the going rate for the tooth fairy these days?  Cole is going to lose his first tooth.”  Maybe I’m just an old curmudgeon, but I was shocked by the responses.  A few people responded with $1-$2.  I usually got $0.50 - $1.00 for a tooth, so a couple of dollars seems reasonable.  I assume even the tooth fairy has to deal with inflation.  However, the majority of the responses were anywhere from $5 to $50 a tooth.  Fifty dollars?  I’d knock my own teeth out for $50!  Shoot!  I might even knock them out for $5 these days.  I find that terribly excessive.  What are you paying for teeth these days?

14 comments:

  1. I think I gave a dollar bill. I am like the worst mom ever though because I always forgot and never made too big of a deal about it!

    Chicago is such a fun city. I don't remember what things I loved doing there though. I went for a bible conference when I was in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camellias are not in any way affected by frost, they come from the foothills of the Himalaya !. What they are affected by is lime, like the one in the photo. If you don't put that plant in a pot with acidic soil it will kick the bucket. You'll also have issues with Roses for the same reason.

    Are kids old enough to spend cash when they lose their milk teeth.

    I have a bunch of cousins and an uncle in Chicago, so the last bloody place you'll find Vincent on a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, it's a dollar! Kaishon's Mom is right. That said, if you need to earn some extra money, I have a drawer full of my kid's teeth that I don't know what to do with.
    And sorry about your frost a couple of years ago. I feel so bad for you poor folks who have to deal with a chill every now and then.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Becky - I think my parents forgot sometimes too and then would leave me notes from the tooth fairy about why with the shiny coins. :)

    @Vince - Is that the yellowing on the plants? As I said I am no gardener so the whole pot and acid thing sounds more drug related than garden. Can I buy that kind of thing at the gardening store? Do I have to dig them out of the ground or can I put it in the soil. Yes! My roses have it too! Yikes!

    Oh no on Chicago...I like the people I'm going to see, so it should be ok. :)

    @Mark - I remember find the box full of my teeth growing up. Ewwwwww! I do always think of you when I "complain" about the weather, knowing that you will razz me about. I actually don't mind the cold weather...the scorching heat I mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get a big pot from the garden centre and plunge in down into the soil. The size depends on the size of the rootball on the camellia. Allow at least four inches all round the ball. Fill it with ericaceous compost. leave it just proud of the soil. Then spread the rest of the compost to hide the lip of the pot. Oh, the Camellia will pop out of the ground as easily as if you are tipping it out of the pot you bought it. And it won't have gotten all that much bigger than is was then either. Dont plant it any deeper than it is in the ground at right now.
    On the roses you can use this http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-chelated-iron.htm
    I dont know what the product in the USA but this is one from here http://www.hardwareireland.ie/store/product.php?id=195

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just typed a bunch of stuff for you to do in Chicago, but then the comment section died on me.

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. CHICAGO!!!! WOOO HOOOO!!!

    You know that I lived in Chicago for a long time in a neighbourhood called East Lakeview, which is the next neighborhood north of Lincoln Park.

    It is actually funny that you say you are going to Chicago because I was only today drooling over the memory of having a slab of ribs and onion rings at Twin Anchors in Old Town. So now you must go there and eat the ribs for me. Plus Frank Sinatra used to eat there whenever he was in town. (It also used to be a speakeasy).

    Plus in regards to food, you must go to Melrose Diner in East Lakeview for a late night patty melt or banana pancakes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes!!! For a bit of gangster history, pop up for a drink at the Green Mill Tavern in Uptown. This place was Al Capone’s Northside hang out.

    I don’t know if it is still a working cinema or not, but in Lincoln Park is the Biograph. The alley next to it is where John Dillinger was shot and killed. They say it is still haunted.
    If the mood strikes you to go up a tall building, and that tall building happens to be the John Hancock, the skip paying the entrance fee and go to the restaurant on the floor just below the observation deck (although, you might want to check that it is still open first.) You can save the fee and get a martini. Same view, only with a martini.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Should you want a bit of culture, do not miss the Art Institute of Chicago. Actually even if you don’t want a bit a culture, do not miss the Art Institute of Chicago. The aquarium is pretty cool, too.

    Oh yes, and since you are staying in Lincoln Park, go for a stroll through Lincoln Park (the actually park, in the neighbourhood) and stop in at the Lincoln Park Zoo. It is very old and outdated (or used to be anyway) but it is free (or used to be anyway) and you can pretend that you stepped back to Victorian times and you are wealthy elite going for a Sunday stroll through the zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Back to food, I just remembered that you should get a true Chicago style deep dish pizza.

    Everyone has their favourite place to get one, I am sure you friends have a favourite place, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yay! Thanks Hula! My heart goes pitter patter over thoughts of the Chicago mafia. My needless fascination with organized crime might add those locals to the top of my list. :)
    I'll email you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chicago--fun. I've never been.

    $50.00 a tooth? No way. I always got a dime or a quarter.

    I love your beautiful bush!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVED Chicago...must eat a hot dog, do the boat cruise to learn about all the arcitecture, walk the Navy Pier, eat pizza...it was so much fun!
    I pay $1.00 per tooth. I guess I'm a cheap tooth fairy. $5.00, really? $50 give me a break!
    Didn't like that book. Couldn't even finish it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. $50 for a tooth is way too much! I mean it's not like the kid needs money for a strip bar. Unless he does and then I guess $50 should cover it.

    ReplyDelete