Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tasty Tuesday – The Nekked Burrito

Some of the fresh Mex restaurants have been touting the low carb version of the burrito aka the Naked Burrito…all the burrito goodies without the tortilla.  Here’s my version…

The Nekked Burrito
Makes approx. 4 bowls
Ingredients
2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces.  (I seasoned mine with this and cooked on the grill.)
1 15oz can black or pinto (I prefer black, but forgot to buy them at the store so used the pintos in my cupboard.)
1 large tomato, chopped
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 cup white rice, cooked according to package
1 bunch cilantro
2 limes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Greek yogurt

Directions
For Beans
Add beans, chopped tomatoes, and half the onions to a saucepan.  Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat.  Cover and simmer while preparing rest of ingredients, at least 30 minutes.
For Rice
1.  Cook rice according to packaged directions.
2.  While rice is cooking, add 1/2 cup cilantro, 2 tablespoons lime juice, garlic, and olive oil to a food processor and blend until chopped. 
3.  When rice is cooked, add cilantro mixture while still hot and mix.
stuff 335 1
For Neeked Burrito
Layer 1/2 cup rice, 1/2 cup beans, 1/2 cup chicken, and 1-2 tablespoons of cheese in a bowl.  I topped with 1-2 tablespoons Greek yogurt laced with lime zest (mix 1/2 cup yogurt with zest of one lime) and some cilantro sprigs.

stuff 315

Some Notes…
- I know there are some weirdos people who greatly dislike cilantro.  I don’t get it because I add it by the handfuls to my Mexican food.  But, if you leave it out of the rice, you’re good to go.
- After making this with pinto beans, I made it the following week with black beans.  They were both very tasty.

8 comments:

  1. It's not a question of me getting older. I was like this always when I encountered tedious pointlessness. You know the virgin Mary notion when you make a darn good refreshing drink but somehow you feel deprived/virtuous and a whole heap of other emotions all for not putting vodka in the highball; which is tasteless within that concoction.
    Here you made a good meal, which I'm certain has a name down Mexico way. And if not there, then in Brazil. Eitherhoos, but for the coriander and the milky stuff it's a darn good meal to be eaten with flatware. Not in a slobbery pocket of melting and coagulating fake corn carbs.
    Realistically how many calories can one be dropping anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my kind of food.

    Although I am perfectly happy with a "slobbery pocket of melting and coagulating fake corn carbs" too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like one for supper right this instant : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this looks fabulous and I absolutely love coriander!!!

    But of course I would have my nekkid burrito smother in sour cream and guacamole, which defeats the reason why it is naked in the first place.

    And whilst we are on the name, if there is no tortilla, is it still a burrito?

    And actually, if it was meant to be low-carb, wouldn't it make more sense to remove the white rice instead of a thin peice of bread??

    I don't wish to detract from your dish though, it looks fantastic and I will be making it this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 4th Thursday of Nov.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am writing this one down. Yum! I am spending the day catching up on my favorite blogs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great. Now I'm hungry. Again.

    And HH is funny as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They call those burrito bowls down here. I'm pondering the idea of a burrito in corn tortilla...I just have to figure out how to make a massive one! :)

    I saw Hugo's coming out...I'm dying to see him and the Muppets!

    ReplyDelete