Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Oops, She Did It Again

Poor Rigby!  My friend Tami came into town for work this week.  She stayed at my house on Sunday and Rigby was so excited.  Upon her arrival, Rigby tore around the house, doing the “butt run” and bouncing off  the furniture.  Once she calmed down, we noticed she was favoring her left foot. 

After further investigation, I found that her nail was cracked…again.  She must have caught it on something while lapping the house. 

By last night, she was no longer able to walk on it.  She kept it off the ground and looked pathetic.  I tried to repair it with some super glue, but it was cracked all the way up to the quick.  Rigby would barely let me touch it without pulling away in pain.  So it was off to the vet today after work.  Even though it’s my regular vet, there are such bad memories about being there. 

The vet took one look at the claw and said it needed to be cut.  They took her in the back, and after about five minutes I heard this terrible cry.  It broke my heart.  Then about 5 minutes later they brought her back out to me.  This time sans bandage and/or the cone of shame, which makes things easier.

stuff 515Without it being wrapped up though I have to look at it.  And it looks so PAINFUL.  She’s still a bit limpy and mopey tonight.  stuff 519I took this photo about 6:15.  It is 10:15 now, and she’s still in the exact same spot.  Poor baby.

10 comments:

  1. Aww the poor little dog.
    Have they cut the live bit as well.
    When something like that happens to my one she heads for my bed as by Right where she hunkers down for the duration.
    Is there a track or a lip that she's catching it on when she does that hyper excited burn.

    The glue thing works if the nail is split in a way that will run back up into the toe. There is a point where the physics of the thing makes it impossible. Mostly if it has already done that.
    How did the vet take to the idea. I'll bet he didn't like it one little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @vince - she crawled up on the bed a few minutes ago and passed out again - definitely not herself tonight. Ya it was a weird crack, just like last time, where the top portion of the nail lifted off the bottom, all the way to the paw. I could hardly get the glue near her and as much as she pulled away I was worried that I'd end up with a dog stuck to the floor. I didn't even mention it to the vet, but it you are probably right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor baby is right! I hope she feels better soon. How sad for you to have to watch helplessly as she suffers. I'm sure she'll be up and about in no time though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor baby is right! I hope she feels better soon. How sad for you to have to watch helplessly as she suffers. I'm sure she'll be up and about in no time though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks crystal she'll be fine, but ya it makes me feel bad for her. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a trauma for Rigby. I am certain she will be up and about soon. I hate to see dogs suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @bc - thanks! When I woke this morning she still wasn't herself and wouldn't eat her breakfast. However when I got ready to leave for work she bounded down the stairs like usual. So I think she's on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad she is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete