Monday, September 3, 2012

My New Favorite Show

I spent most of Sunday fooling around in the art room and trying to catch up on many hours of television on the DVR.   Since I paid more attention to painting than the TV, I didn’t get through much, but I do think I found a new favorite show. 

After the original Law and Order, which remains at the top of my drama list, The West Wing series earned a close second.  Low and behold, the writer and producer of The West Wing premiered a new show on HBO this summer.  After watching the final two episodes of Newsroom this weekend, it is fantastic.

The Newsroom is about Will McAvoy, a news anchor (played by Jeff Daniels), who finally has enough of the shock media and wants to report on the news, and not take sides.  He and his idealistic staff work tirelessly towards responsible news all while the corporate network and viewer ratings breathe down their necks.  Like the West Wing, it leans towards the left, but the main character is a Republican who has become fed up with the extreme conservatism of late.   In addition to Jeff Daniels, it stars Emily Mortimer as the show’s producer, who used to be in a relationship with Will, Olivia Munn, who is brilliant as the socially inept economist, and Sam Waterson (from Law and Order yay!), the Network’s president.  Actually, all the regular characters are well developed and have back stories that go beyond the newsroom.

The writing on the show, also like the West Wing, is smart, witty, and topical.  These are my favorite clips.  

From the first episode -  When Will decides he’s done with irresponsible journalism and when I decide I have a little bit of a crush on him.

While the staff prepares for a Republican Presidential candidates’ debate….

From the final episode of the season.  Will’s broadcast was shown in clips throughout the episode which is why it looks a little piecy put together in the video. 

I’m sorry the season is over already.  I look forward to what’s to come, especially how they will “cover” the next few months leading up to the election.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, that reminds me have you seen Rumpole of the Bailey.

    I wonder will it travel. As in across the Atlantic. We pick up stuff that isn't mainstream in the US and run with it. But I expect since our TV News is by law untainted with bias we would wonder a bit. We "got" the West Wing but in a way distinct from you. And we wouldn't have seen it as Left 'in any way'. But there you go, takes all sorts eh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not seen the show you mention. We get some things on the BBC America channel, but just a few select shows like Top Gear, Dr. Who, and the Graham Norton show which they play over and over and over again. Our TV people have also tried remaking some of the shows from over your side, but with very little success.

    Unbiased by law huh? Are you being sarcastic? :) That is so foreign over here. Watching the news irritates me any more that I roll my eyes and think, "Oh come on now!"

    Aaron Sorkin, the creator of both shows, is well-known for being a liberal and including that "agenda" in his scripts. He's been accused of that in both the West Wing and this new show. What made it not read that way over there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bit like Clinton. We never saw the BJ as anything other than being a bit pointless. If anything he would be seen as somewhat less goal orientated than that position needs. But the whole thing could be summed in a shrug of the shoulder. And frankly if you asked any woman in Europe if she'd give him a proper seeing to, they would have no issue.
    Never would we have had that witch hunt over the best part of three years causing untold weakness to the body-politic.
    Of course, we don't cause a semi-deification of an active politician. We believe them, greedy scum who are better on the inside of a tent weeing out that outside weeing in.
    That's the difference.
    Mind you, should a politician decide he is a channel for purity he better keep his nose clean. In the UK there was such that ended up sucking the toes of a Palestinian chick. He tried to brazen it out, but he was gone in a month. But it wasn't the sucking or the extra marital aspect, it was he was being two faced moralist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! I enjoyed your response.:)
      There tends to be a "The lady doth protest too much..." with those who like to preach morality.

      Delete
  4. Once again, wishing I had HBO but unwilling to pay the $25.00 a month to have it.

    I have a new favorite show, too. Web Therapy on Showtime, with Lisa Kudrow. So clever and so funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. When my cable bill arrives each month, I always threaten to stop those channels. Acually, I wish I could cancel regular cable and just pay for HBO/Show. I'll have to check out your new fave and let you know. :)

      Delete
    2. Can you not get free to air satellite. That's what I have. Like I was going to pay Sky/Fox a ruddy fortune for what I could get for free. Still you may have to learn Spanish with a Honduran accent :-D.

      Delete
    3. Free to air satellite? That sounds like Spanish with a Honduran accent to me. ;). No I pay through the nose for my cable.

      Delete
  5. After Bones bit the dust, I've been liking Rizzoli and Isles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard about R&I...I'll have to check it. I like detective shows.

      Delete
  6. We gave up HBO, Showtime etc with our move but we get Netflix on our TV. We have watched a number of British TV shows through Netflix, we especially like the mysteries. A Touch of Frost, Midsomer Murders. We are currently watching Larkrise to Candleford and Season 4 of Doc Martin. So we don't really miss the premiums. I did see the first Newsroom when we stayed in a hotel and wished we would be able to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Newsroom and can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete