- MOTHER EFFER!!!!
- Earlier this week a cashier at the store finished my transaction and said, “Here you go ma’am,” when she handed me my receipt. I squinted at her and quietly said thank you. In my head though, I growled in a Freddy Krueger voice, “DON’T CALL ME MA’AM!”
- Nine years ago I was a mess. That number 30 hit me so hard. With 40 just 365 days away, I’m waiting for a break down. That number is harsh! In some ways, I’m in a much better place than I was way back then, but in other ways I’m in the exact same place. So far I haven’t had a meltdown about it, but that remains to be seen as it gets closer.
- The first day of fall usually lands on my birthday. I’ve always thought that was fitting since it’s my favorite season…I mean it would be if we actually had a fall. It’s still over 100 degrees, and I’m so over it. I was told the forecast shows temps in the 80s this week. Oh I hope so because the heat is making me cranky.
- Some of my friends took great care of me this weekend with good movies, food, and company. Although, what I really should have done was go work at school. I can’t seem to catch up. “It feels like I’ve never taught 2nd grade before!” I lamented while lying down with exhaustion in the booth at dinner the other night. “How is that possible?” someone asked. “I don’t know! But THAT is what’s happening.” With the exception of a couple of combos, I’ve taught 2nd grade for 13 years with a high level of proficiency and efficiency. Instead, I’m a complete scatterbrain this year. I’ve heard that happens as one ages.
- Yesterday, my mother sent me a text asking me if I’d be home today so she could call me on my birthday. I guess that’s an improvement over last year when she sent me birthday wishes via Facebook.
- I bought some pillows yesterday. As I wheeled them in a cart out to the car this older gentleman stopped me and, in a British accent, said, “Those are great pillows!” “Oh, ya?” I asked him. “We bought them last week,” he answered, “And my wife still hasn’t gotten out of bed.” That kind of made my day. I’m still laughing about it this morning.
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. -Mark Twain