Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tasty Tuesday

I'm not a food blogger, in fact, I'm not sure what kind of blogger I am. Is a "bunch of random blather" a blog niche? Anyways, I am still a foodie in the sense that I love to eat, drink, cook, and plan parties. Since my vacation ends today and my time spending hours reading and writing posts is over, I thought this would be a great time to start a weekly "culinary" post so I can share some of my favorites with you. SlĂ inte!


Chicken Tortilla Soup - Slow Cooker

Ingredients

2-3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts (can be frozen)
1 (15 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chile peppers
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups water
1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 (10 oz) package frozen corn
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (add more if you like it like I do)
7 corn tortillas
vegetable oil

1. Put all ingredients (except tortilla and oil) into slow cooker. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours. Before serving, shred chicken using a fork - it will just fall apart.
2. Preheat oven to 400.
3. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet.
4. Bake in preheated oven until lightly brown and crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Add tortilla strips and any other toppings...serve!

10 comments:

  1. Oooooh, I am putting this on my list of crockpot recipes to make for my weekly crockpot chronicles. Thanks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That looks so good. How about you make some and bring it down to Texas. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A foodie? Who loves to throw parties? It's like your all taunting me...Im trying not to pressure my LA blogger friends to have a Dove Chocolate Tasting party..but, you keep all dropping these hints, and leaving grande opportunities....

    BTW, the soup looks delicious.

    I cant wait to hear about all the "back to school" stories from you and JLo and Jason!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that looks great! Like seeing ice cold fresh water in a desert.

    I long for some good old Mexican food, Sonora stye!
    And In n Out of course! double double.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pumpkin...do you serve yourself all pretty like that every night? If it wasn't 5 million degrees out that soup would look fantsatic! But, you better believe I'll be saving that recipe for fall. Keep 'em coming! Love the cute header too you crafty girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooooh ... I love me some tortilla soup. I am SOOOO gonna try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am soooo excited about these recipes. As you know I can always use help in the cooking department.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great recipe. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I will definitely try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pumpkin, I got the new do from Simply Fabulous templates. There is a link on the left hand side of my blog.

    the header is a bit big, if I don't get used to it, I'll make it smaller.
    Thank you for the nice compliment.

    ReplyDelete