Yes, yes, pasta again! This is an easy one and quite fresh and light too. You can follow the recipe exact, or change up the vegetables for a little variation. Slàinte!
Tomato and Sausage Pasta
1 pound pasta
1 tbsp olive oil
1 pound spicy Italian sausage
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped (or 1 tbsp dried basil)
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
1 bunch of asparagus, chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used Parmigiano-Reggiano)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Begin boiling water for pasta.
2. In a large skillet, heat oil and sausage; cook through until no longer pink. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add onion and garlic to skillet. Add broth, basil and tomatoes with liquid.
3. Add pasta to boiling water, and cook according to package directions.
4. Cook sausage mixture over medium heat for 5 minutes to slightly reduce. Add chopped asparagus (or any vegetables); cover skillet and simmer on reduced heat until asparagus is tender. About 10 minutes.
5. Drain pasta and pour back into hot cooking pot.
6. Add sausage mixture and Parmesan cheese to pasta. Stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste if needed. Cover pot and let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
7. Sprinkle top of each serving with Parmesan cheese.
Some other vegetable options are spinach or chopped broccoli (about 10 oz, fresh or frozen work well).
ten things tuesday
3 hours ago