Next to Italian, Mexican is a close second as my favorite type of food. Although I don’t cook it as often (probably because we have great Mexican restaurants nearby), I have a few recipes in my repertoire. This is one of my favorites and it’s so easy!
Carne Asada Tacos
2 pounds thin grilling steak like skirt steak or flap meat (I use flap meat)
1/2 cup tequila
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup orange juice
4 cloves garlic crushed
1 medium onion chopped
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons Tabasco
Warmed tortillas (16-20)
Taco toppings – salsa, cilantro, cheese, guacamole, etc.
1. Mix juices, garlic, onion, tequila, Tabasco and pepper in a large ziplock bag.
2. Poke holes in the meat and add it to the bag, marinating both sides.
3. Marinate in the refrigerator, for 6-8 hours, turning the bag every hour or so.
4. Remove meat from marinade, reserving marinade.
5. Place the meat on a preheated grill.
6. Turn steak after 5-7 minutes and brush steak with remaining marinade. Cook an additional 5-7 minutes.
7. Cut into thin slices, against the grain.
8. Place a few slices of steak on a warm tortilla and add salsa, cilantro, or guacamole to your liking.
The flavors in this Carne Asada are amazing! If you want to make it even more authentic, try making your own corn tortillas like the ones above. They’re easy and even more delicious than store bought.