This weekend Miss Emily came over for a few hours and we made some cookie bars. I used my usual cookie bar recipe, but we added a new ingredient. Pretzels! A few weeks ago I saw these on Etsy. I love salty things and all of a sudden pretzels with chocolate chip cookies sounded like a fantastic idea!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars with Pretzels
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt (or less because the pretzels are salty)
1 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
12 ounces chocolate chips 1½ cups pretzel sticks, broken into pieces
¼ cup chocolate chips, for topping
¼ cup peanut butter, for topping
¼ cup pretzels, broken, for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter or spray a 9×13 Pyrex dish.
2. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
3. Using a mixer, mix the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs and the vanilla extract. Gradually add the dry ingredients and mix. Gently stir in the chocolate chips and broken pretzels.
4. Spread the dough evenly into the greased baking pan. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown on top.
5. Remove from the oven and begin to cool.
6. In the microwave, heat peanut butter and chocolate chips in separate bowls. Using a fork, drizzle the melted chocolate and PB over the top of the cookie bars. Sprinkle the broken pretzels on top.